Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: www.hersheys.com/recipes
What's in it
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 wooden ice cream sticks
Assorted frostings, sugars and small candies
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips
1 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
How to cook it
- Heat oven to 350°F. Beat butter and sugar in medium bowl until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. (If necessary, refrigerate dough until firm enough to handle.)
- Roll 1/4 cup dough into ball; place on ungreased cookie sheet, 3 cookies per sheet. (Cookies spread while baking.) Insert wooden stick about three quarters of the way into side of each ball. Flatten slightly.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until outside edges are lightly browned and center is set. Cool several minutes on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Decorate with CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE and assorted frostings, sugars and small candies to make Valentine cookies. About 12 cookies.
- CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE: Place 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil) in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted when stirred.