Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/11/turnip-gratin/
What's in it
4 whole Turnips
3 cloves (to 4 Cloves) Garlic
2 cups Gruyere Cheese
4 Tablespoons (to 6 Tablespoons) Butter
Salt And Pepper, to taste
Fresh Herbs, to taste
How to cook it
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Start by peeling and thinly slicing the turnips and mincing the cloves of garlic. Grate about 2 cups of Gruyere cheese.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Place a single layer of turnips on top of the butter.
- Next, sprinkle a little of the garlic on top, then – and this is purely optional and really not all that necessary – add a couple of tablespoons of butter.
- Next drizzle a healthy splash of chicken broth over the turnips. Next, do the same with the cream.
- Now add a nice layer of Gruyere – about ½ cup. Sprinkle a bit of salt, but not much as the cheese is already salty.
- Repeat these layers twice more. Sprinkle on some freshly ground black pepper.
- Now pop the whole thing into the over and bake for about 20 minutes or until the top is hot, brown and bubbly.
More recipes with "Cheese, Chicken Broth, Turnip":
More "Side Dish" recipes: