Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
What's in it
4 whole Medium Sweet Potatoes
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Milk
2 whole Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Pecans
1/2 cup Flour
3/4 sticks Butter
How to cook it
- Wash 4 medium sweet potatoes and bake them in a 375-degree oven until fork tender, about 30-35 minutes. When they are finished cooking slice them open and scrape out the flesh into a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup of (regular grandulated) sugar, 1 cup of milk, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of salt. With a potato masher, mash them up just enough—you don’t want to be perfectly smooth.
- Now, in a separate bowl, add 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup pecans, chopped (that means measure a cup of pecans, then chop them), ½ cup flour, and ¾ stick of butter. With a pastry cutter or fork, mash together until thoroughly combined.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture into a regular baking dish and sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Note: You could make this the night before Thanksgiving! Just assemble and keep in the fridge. You could also prepare the elements ahead of time and keep the potatoes and crumb mixture separate until you’re ready to bake. I’ve done both, and both work just fine.