Recipe submitted by: Mom and Steve
What's in it
4-6 large (stout) green bell peppers
1 pound hamburger
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
salt and pepper
How to cook it
- Clean, core and de-seed peppers.
- Add olive oil to frying pan - brown garlic. Cook hamburger in frying pan. When cooked, drain it. Let it cool a little. Then crumble until meat is a fine texture.
- Cover peppers in cold water in large saucepan. (Mom uses her spaghetti pot with the colander built right in). Bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Peppers should be cooked but not soft.
- Cook rice according to directions. (1 1/2 cups water for 1/2 cup rice)
- Add meat mixture back to frying pan, add tomato sauce, rice and heat on low. Stir frequently. Place peppers upright in a baking pan. Add mozzarella to bottom of pepper to cover (about 1 tablespoon). Take the meat mixture and stuff the pepper tightly. Add mozzarella to top of pepper.
- Bake at 350 degrees until the top of the pepper and cheese are browned (about 30 minutes).