Recipe submitted by: Tara Dunsmore
Recipe courtesy of: Disney Family Fun
What's in it
6 cups blueberries
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 unbaked piecrust (recipe below) plus extra dough
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter
4 or 5 tablespoons cold milk
Extra flour, as needed, for rolling the dough
How to cook it
- For the crust: Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Cut the butter into slices with a dinner knife and scatter the pieces on top of the flour.
- Pulse the flour and butter until they are combined and the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the milk a tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition, until the dough sticks to itself when gently squeezed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Use your hands to shape it into two balls, one twice as large as the other. Using extra flour as needed to prevent sticking, roll the larger ball to fit a 9- or 10-inch pie pan. Wrap the smaller piece of dough tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes a 9- or 10-inch piecrust, plus extra for a decorative top crust.
- Creating the filling and assembling the pie: Heat the oven to 375º F. Place the blueberries in a large bowl, and sprinkle with the lemon zest, lemon juice, flour, and sugar. Toss gently until the berries are evenly coated.
- Line a 9- or 10-inch pie pan with the rolled piecrust dough and crimp the edges. Pour the filling into the crust. Let your kids cut the extra dough into shapes with cookie cutters. Lay the shapes, touching one another, on top of the filling. Press any pieces that meet the sides of the crust into the edges.
- Place the pie pan on a foil-lined tray (to catch any spills) and bake in the lower third of the oven for 45 minutes or until the filling is bubbly around the edges and the crust is lightly browned. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
More recipes with "Blueberries":
More "Dessert" recipes: