Also called tortilla espanola or tortilla de patata this breakfast is very filling and yummy!
What's in it
potatoes - 6 - 7 medium size, peeled, cut into cubes or medium slices
eggs - 5-6 large size
yellow onion - 1
olive oil - 2-3 cups for pan fryring
salt - to taste
How to cook it
- Put potatoes and onions into a bowl and mix them together. Salt the mixture.
- In a large, heavy, non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Carefully place the potato and onion mixture into the frying pan. Lower the heat.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon or spatula and allow oil to drain.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat by hand with a whisk or fork.
- Pour in the potato onion mixture. Mix together with a large spoon.
- Pour 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil into a small, non-stick frying pan and heat on medium heat.
- When hot, stir the potato onion mixture once more and “pour” into the pan and spread out evenly. Allow the egg to cook around the edges.
- When the mixture has browned on the bottom, you are ready to turn it over to cook the other side.
- Take the frying pan to a sink. Place a large dinner plate (12”) upside down over the frying pan.
- With one hand on the frying pan handle and the other on top of the plate to hold it steady, quickly turn the frying pan over and the omelet will “fall” onto the plate.
- Place the frying pan back on the range and put just enough oil to cover the bottom and sides of the pan. Let the pan warm for 30 seconds or so.
- Now slide the omelet into the frying pan. Use the spatula to shape the sides of the omelet.
- Let the omelet cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the tortilla sit in the pan for 2 minutes.
- Slide the omelet onto a plate to serve. If eating as a main course, cut the omelet into 6-8 pieces like a pie.