Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.smartsavvyliving.com/quick-coconut-cream-pie/
What's in it
1 9-inch regular pie shell (homemade, frozen, refrig, graham cracker, etc. are all good) already baked and cooled
1 3.5 oz package of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 3.5 oz package of coconut cream pie pudding mix (if you can’t find this flavor, I suggest using another package of vanilla and add a bit of coconut flavoring when mixing for extra flavor)
2 cups milk (can use refrigerated coconut milk for extra flavor)
1½ cups flaked sweetened coconut, keeping ½ cup to the side
1 8 oz container frozen whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed
How to cook it
- Take ½ cup coconut that you set to the side and toast. I do this in a small skillet over medium heat until most of the coconut is golden brown. You can also toast in the oven, but I find it a waste unless you’re toasting a large amount.
- In a large bowl, combine the pudding mixes and milk and stir until the mixture is thickened.
- Fold in the remaining 1 cup of coconut and half of the frozen whipped topping into the pudding mixture.
- Pour the resulting mix into the prepared pie crust and spread evenly.
- Top with remaining whipped topping.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut on top.
- Refrigerate until serving and enjoy!
- Optional Notes Really bump up the coconut flavor by using coconut extract and serving with coconut whipped cream!