Recipe submitted by: Aimee Mendoza
Recipe courtesy of: Rick Tramonto
What's in it
French toast batter
6 lg. eggs
2 c. whole milk
2 c. half-and-half
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract
Kosher salt to taste
Cinnamon whipped cream
1 c. heavy cream
½ tbsp. sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon
8 slices Panettone or good-quality raisin bread, cut about ½-inch thick
8 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 c. maple syrup
How to cook it
- To make the batter, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, half-and-half, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Season to taste with salt; transfer to a broad, shallow bowl; and set aside.
- To make the whipped cream, in a chilled mixing bowl or bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the whipped cream and whisk a little longer or until the whipped cream thickens a little more. Cover and refrigerate.
- Lay at least 2 slices of bread in the batter and let them soak 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat. When the butter is melted, lift the bread from the batter, let the excess drip off, and cook about 4 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Transfer to a serving plate, top with confectioners’ sugar, a dollop of whipped cream, and a drizzle of syrup. Repeat to make four servings.