Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://paleospirit.com/
What's in it
(two 9-inch cake pans)
■1 cup coconut flour
■3/4 cup high quality cacao powder
■3/4 teaspoon baking soda
■3/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
■3/4 cup coconut oil (butter or ghee), melted (more for greasing pans)
■1 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
■3/4 cup brewed coffee (or water)
■1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
■parchment paper for lining cake pans
Coconut Honey Frosting (Paleo/Vegan)
■1 cup cold pressed palm shortening
■3/4 cup (approximately half a can) full fat coconut milk
■1/3 cup honey (or vegan honey substitute)
■1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to cook it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Combine coconut flour, cacao, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- 4.In the bowl of a stand mixer, with whisk attachment, whisk the eggs.
- 5.Add the oil/butter/ghee, maple syrup, coffee and vanilla extract and continue to mix until combined.
- 6.Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- 7.Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are incorporated – about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl (you may need to do this a couple of times) and beat cake batter on high speed for about one full minute so that the batter is fluffy.
- 8.Divide batter between the two prepared pans. It will be thick. (Spread it out evenly in the pan)
- 30 minutes (for 9 inch pans) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 10.Allow to cool on a wire rack for about 10-15 minutes. Use a knife to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and turn out onto the wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Coconut Honey Frosting (Paleo/Vegan) 1.Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on low for about 30 seconds. 2.Scrape down sides of bowl and continue beating on high until the frosting is fluffy and thickened.* * The frosting will “break” when you first start mixing it. Just keep going and it will eventually come back together and be light and fluffy like whipped cream.
- Making the Four-Layer Paleo Chocolate Cake Allow the cake layers to cool completely. Then cut each layer in half lengthwise.
- Begin adding the frosting to each layer until you have a four-layer cake like this one. The frosting is slippery and you could easily have a disaster on your hands if you are not careful while putting this together. I don’t recommend trying to put too much frosting in each layer.
More recipes with "Coconut Milk":
More recipes with the same dietary type of "Dairy Free, Gluten Free":