Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.myorganicrecipes.com
What's in it
2 smoked ham hocks
16 oz dry split peas
2 white turnips, peeled and cut in cubes
1 red bell pepper, cut in cubes
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
8 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
½ cup parsley, chopped
¼ teaspoon allspice
2 tablespoons olive oil
How to cook it
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat on a big pot for soup.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, pepper, turnips and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add split peas, ham hocks, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, allspice. Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the split peas are cooked.
- Remove , sprinkle with parsley and serve.
More recipes with "carrots, Celery, Ham, Peas, Red Pepper":