Recipe submitted by: Aimee Mendoza
Recipe courtesy of: Nicole
What's in it
4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup puffed rice cereal
1 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 Tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons espresso powder
1 extra large egg white
4.25 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup dried cherries, chopped if they are large
How to cook it
- Preheat the oven to 325º F and place a rack in the center of the oven. Lightly grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl combine the rolled oats, puffed rice, hazelnuts, salt, and brown sugar making sure there are no brown sugar clumps.
- In another bowl stir together the melted butter, syrup, vanilla and egg white. Pour the wet mixture over the dry and toss together making sure all the dry ingredients are coated with the butter mixture.
- Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir the granola.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. You will notice that the granola is still soft, but it will crisp and dry as it cools. Allow the mixture to cool completely on the pan before stirring (this will give you nice granola clusters). Once the granola is cool, break up large pieces and stir in the chocolate and dried cherries. Store in an airtight container.