Recipe submitted by: Tara Dunsmore
Recipe courtesy of: The Yummy Life
What's in it
1/4 cup uncooked oats (old fashioned rolled oats recommended; do not use steel cut oats)
1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup low-fat yogurt (Greek yogurt recommended)
1/2 cup fresh quartered strawberries
1/2 cup fresh banana slices
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 teaspoons honey, optional (or substitute preferred sweetener)
How to cook it
- Add oats and chia seeds to blender; blend on high until texture of flour.
- Add milk & juice to blender; use spoon or spatula to stir in oats/chias from bottom.
- Add yogurt. Add strawberries and bananas. Blend on high until desired smoothness.
- Taste and add sweetener, if needed. Blend again.
- Transfer to pint (2 cup) jar or container; refrigerate overnight, or a minimum of 4 hours, so oats & chias can soften.
- Will keep in refrigerator 2-3 days. Shake before drinking.
- IF TOO THICK after the fridge soak, add more juice or milk and shake jar/container or return to blender to combine.
- FOR A SMOOTHER CONSISTENCY, return to blender after the fridge soak and blend again.
- TO FREEZE: May be frozen after the 4 hour soak in the fridge. Freezing will stop the bananas from browning in the smoothie. To thaw, move to fridge a day ahead so it is thawed for drinking the next day. For faster thaw, place frozen jar/container in bowl of cold water on the counter for 1-2 hours. Shake before drinking.
More recipes with "Bananas, Oatmeal, Strawberries, Yogurt":
More "Breakfast, Snack" recipes:
More recipes with the same dietary type of "Vegetarian":