Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.imperialsugar.com/recipes/desserts/cakes/italian-cream-cake
What's in it
1 stick + 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
2 tablespoons oil (grape seed, olive or canola oil)
2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
5 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 cup pecan pieces
1 1/3 cups (3.5 ounces) sweetened coconut
5 large egg whites, free of egg yolk traces
Cream Cheese Frosting
Pecans and coconut for decoration, as desired
How to cook it
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour three 8 or 9 inch pans or use baking spray. Set aside.
- Cream butter and oil until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix further. Add egg yolks one at a time waiting for previous added yolk to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Whip until mixture is light and fluffy. Add vanilla.
- Sift together flour and baking soda. In low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk. Once combined add pecan pieces and coconut.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into above batter.
- Evenly divide the batter into prepared pans. Place in oven and bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean. About 28 to 35 minutes. Let sit in pan for 15 minutes before removing.
- Turn cakes out pans. Let cool. Freeze well wrapped or frost layers now.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting. Frost cool cake. Decorate with pecans and coconut if desired.