Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.simpledish.com/recipes/sides/homemade-mozzarella-sticks
What's in it
12 mozzarella string cheese-sticks (or a block of mozzarella cut into 4-by-1/2-inch sticks)
1 1/2 cups panko-style breadcrumbs
4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
Canola oil for frying
How to cook it
- In a shallow pie plate (or something similar), mix together breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a fork.
- In a second pie plate, place the flour.
- Begin Dredging: One at a time, dip cheese-sticks in flour. Shake off excess and dip the cheese into the eggs, then roll the cheese into the breadcrumbs. To make a thick breading, coat again with egg and breadcrumbs. Set aside on a rimmed baking sheet or plate. Freeze breadsticks, uncovered, until completely firm, at least 2 hours.
- Fry: Pour oil to a 2-inch depth in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Heat oil until it reaches a temperature of 350 F. A few at a time, fry the mozzarella sticks, being careful not to overburden the oil and cause the temperature to plummet. When done, cheese-sticks will be crispy and browned on the exterior, about 5 minutes. Drain on a double stack of paper towels. Allow temperature to return to 350 F between batches and fry remaining mozzarella.
- Serve while still warm!