Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/golden-macaroni-cheese-10000000569446/
What's in it
1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked macaroni)
2 cups milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon onion salt
2 (10-ounce) blocks sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 1/2 cups) and divided*
1 cup soft breadcrumbs (4 slices, crusts removed)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
How to cook it
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well. Set aside.
- Place milk, flour, and onion salt in a quart jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously 1 minute.
- Stir together flour mixture, 3 1/2 cups cheese, and macaroni.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish or 2 (11-inch) oval baking dishes. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese; drizzle evenly with melted butter.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Notes: *20 ounces loaf pasteurized prepared cheese product, shredded or cut into small cubes, may be substituted. Omit breadcrumbs if using prepared cheese product. Note: For testing purposes only, we used Kraft Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Cheese.