Gluten-free Sourdough Starter
Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: www.celiac.com
Making sourdough starter, the 1st step in the traditional fermentation process for sourdough bread.
What's in it
1 cup water, 110 to 115 deg F
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups rice flour
How to cook it
- Combine all ingredients in a 1-quart container. It will be thick.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap or foil and let stand for one to three days in a warm place, stirring 2 or 3 times daily.
- The starter will rise and fall during the fermentation process.When it is ready to use, it will be bubbly and may have a layer of hooch, or liquid, on top of the starter, which can be stirred back in.
- Use the starter right away, or put it in refrigerator.
- You can easily replenish your starter by keeping at least one cup of finished aside. Add 1 cup water and 1 1/2 cup white rice flour. Cover loosely and let stand in a warm place for 12 hours, stirring once or twice. Use what you need, and refrigerate the rest. Replenish as needed.
More recipes with "Bread":