Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com
What's in it
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons diced onion
1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
4 cups fresh broccoli, cut up
1/2 pound of fresh spinach leaves
3 parsnips, peeled, cored, chopped
2 ribs of celery, trimmed, chopped
A handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
Fresh water, as needed
Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
Lemon or lime juice
How to cook it
- Using a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and stir in the garlic, onion, and ginger to season the oil. Add the broccoli, spinach, parsnips, celery and parsley, and stir a bit until the spinach wilts and collapses. Add just enough water to cover the vegetables. Remember the spinach will cook down quite a bit, so don't add too much water at first. You can always thin the soup later, if you need to.
- Bring to a high simmer, cover the pot, and reduce the heat to a medium simmer. Cook for fifteen minutes or so until the veggies are softened.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Taste test. Does it need brightening? Add a squeeze of citrus.
- Options: To make this a creamy (and still non-dairy) soup add a good dash of light coconut milk. And if you're not averse to grains, serve with a spoonful of hot cooked rice in the center of the bowl- so fabulous.
More recipes with "Broccoli, Celery, Lemons, Onion, Spinach":