Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: www.vegan.com
What's in it
1 cup (200g) dried chickpeas
4 cups (960ml) water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cardamom pods
1 small stick cinnamon
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Pinch of asafetida
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 fresh hot green chili, halved lengthwise
½ -inch (1-cm) cube fresh ginger, peeled and grated
11 ounces (310g) tomatoes, pureed
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon garam masala (see page 16)
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon mango powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
Sliced onions and fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
For the Roasted Spice Mixture:
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
teaspoon cumin seeds
1 dried red chili
How to cook it
- Dry roast all the roasted spice mixture ingredients and grind to a powder.
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in 4 cups water. Then place the soaked chickpeas with the soaking water in a pressure cooker with 1 teaspoon salt. Cook for 18–20 minutes if using a pressure cooker (starting from the time the pressure cooker has a full head of steam), and about an hour if cooking in a pan. The chickpeas should be well cooked—until they are slightly broken. Drain, and reserve the cooking liquid.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and add the cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, and cumin seeds. Stir over medium heat until fragrant. Add the asafetida and onion and sauté for 10–12 minutes until browned.
- Add the fresh green chili, ginger, and the pureed tomatoes. Cover the frying pan and simmer for 3–4 minutes. Add the salt, turmeric, garam masala, cayenne pepper, mango powder, and coriander powder. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and stir gently. Add some of the reserved drained cooking liquid to bring it to the desired consistency. Add the roasted spice mixture, bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat.
- Serve garnished with sliced onions and coriander leaves.
More recipes with "Chick Peas":
More recipes with the same dietary type of "Vegan, Vegetarian":