Recipe submitted by: Aimee Mendoza
Recipe courtesy of: The Girl Who Ate Everything
What's in it
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 regular cucumber, peeled and seeded
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Extra virgin olive oil
For the chicken:
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Juice of 1 lemon (2-3 Tablespoons)
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper
1 1/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
Red onion, sliced thin
How to cook it
- Shred the cucumber or chop in food processor.
- Wrap in a towel a squeeze to remove as much water as possible.
- Mix together the yogurt, shredded cucumber, garlic, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
- To prepare the chicken, combine the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together until mixed well.
- Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Cook the chicken as desired, either in the skillet or with the broiler.
- Once the chicken is completely cooked through, transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut into strips. Heat pitas.
- Top with chicken, tzatziki sauce, diced tomatoes and sliced onions. Serve immediately.