Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
What's in it
4 mozzarella cheese sticks, cut into fifths
1/4 pound boneless chicken breast (slightly more is okay)
3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. milk
1/8 tsp. salt
a pinch of pepper
How to cook it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat egg and milk to make an egg wash. Set aside. Place flour in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Spread Panko crumbs evenly on a cookie sheet. Bake until crumbs are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Stir halfway if Panko begins to brown unevenly. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Place in a small bowl and stir in Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
- Working in batches of 4 or 5 pieces at a time, roll mozzarella in flour, shake off excess, dip into egg wash, and roll in Panko mixture. Place on a plate. Continue to coat all of the cheese. Freeze for 1 hour to prevent oozing during baking.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken into 20 small bite size pieces (about 1 inch thick each). Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Use the same dredging process as for the mozzarella, dipping in flour, then egg, then Panko. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Can be chilled while waiting for the cheese. Do not freeze.
- Remove mozzarella from freezer after one hour. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Spray top of cheese with cooking spray. Spray top of chicken with cooking spray. Bake both in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for about 8 minutes. The chicken is done when it becomes white inside; do not over bake.
- To serve, work quickly to place one chicken and one mozzarella bite on each skewer. Serve with marinara sauce. Makes 20 skewers.
- To double the recipe, use these measurements: 8 mozzarella cheese sticks, cut into fifths 1/2 pound boneless chicken breast (slightly more is okay) 1 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs 1/2 cup flour 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning 3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese 2 eggs 2 tbsp. milk 1/4 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. pepper 40 skewers