Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.imperialsugar.com/recipes/desserts/pies-tarts/butterscotch_pie
What's in it
Graham 9-inch pie shell or standard pie shell
5 pouches Redi-Measure or 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
6 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
4 large egg yolks, beaten
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Whipped Creme / Crème Chantilly
3/4 cup heavy cream, very cold
1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 orange (optional)
How to cook it
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Best results are obtained by pre-baking graham pie shell. If a standard pie shell is used also pre-baking is necessary. Prepare as usual or follow manufactures direction.
- In a saucepan whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk and whisk mixture constantly to a full boil. When mixture bubbles and is thick remove from heat and pour 1/4 of mixture into egg yolks, whisk quickly. Pour yolk mixture back into saucepan and bring back to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract. Cover with plastic food wrap and let sit 5 minutes.
- Pour filling into pie shell and place in refrigerator and let cool completely, at least 2 hours.
- For whipped cream, use a cold bowl and whip together cream, sugar and vanilla until firm peaks form. Decorate pie with whipped cream.
- Wash orange if using and with a microplane or a grater, grate orange avoiding white bitter pith. Sprinkle orange zest onto whipped cream.