Recipe submitted by: Tara Dunsmore
Recipe courtesy of: Life's Simple Measures
What's in it
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 large eggs
3/4 c. buttermilk
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. sugar
2 c. peeled and grated carrots (about 2 to 3 large carrots)
1-1/2 c. sweetened flaked coconut
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. light corn syrup
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 c. powdered sugar
How to cook it
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- For cake, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Place eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and sugar in a large bowl and mix until smooth. Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in carrots, coconut, pineapple, and pecans. Pour batter evenly into prepared pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed.
- While the cake is baking, to prepare the glaze, add sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda to medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Vigorously stir mixture (adding the baking soda will make the mixture foam, stirring will subside the rising foam!) for about 8 minutes. The glaze will begin to turn an amber color. When the mixture is a light amber color, remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Set aside until ready to use.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately poke holes in cake. (To poke holes in the cake, I used the handle end of a wooden spoon.) Pour the buttermilk glaze over the top of the hot cake and spread evenly. Let cake cool completely.
- While the cake cools, for frosting, add cream cheese and butter in large bowl and beat until fluffy. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Slowly add powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Once the cake is cooled, evenly spread frosting over cake.
More recipes with "carrots, cinnamon":