OLIVÉRio: A Brazilian Twist
This event posted by: orock
Friday, January 30, 2015 thru Sunday, February 21, 2016
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
2700 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20566
Click for more information and tickets
A spunky girl on the streets of Rio masquerades as a boy to look for her mother, only to discover a new kind of family, in this world premiere musical inspired by Charles Dickens’s classic novel and featuring original songs and music. Age 9+
A song-filled, gender-bending, Rio-inspired take on the classic Dickens novel!
OLIVÉRio: A Brazilian Twist
A world premiere Kennedy Center commission
Inspired by Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Book and lyrics by Karen Zacarías
Music by Deborah Wicks La Puma
Directed by Juliette Carrillo
For young Olivia, leaving the Brazilian desert for the poor favela neighborhoods of Rio de Janeiro hasn’t been easy. Her mother has left to find work, food is scarce, and now she’s been sent to an orphanage. So when the city makes its annual New Year’s Eve pilgrimage to the beach, in hopes that the goddess of the sea will grant them a wish, Olivia masquerades as a boy to join the adventure and turn her luck around. But con man Falcao has other plans for “Olivério,” like using him to steal from wealthy strangers. Supported by two new friends–Falcao’s spunky apprentice Zé Esquiva and wash maid Nanci–might Olivério’s big dreams help them escape a childhood on the streets?
Inspired by Oliver Twist, this new musical mixes fantasy, shifting identities, and a healthy helping of humor to explore the cultural melting pot of modern-day Rio. Original songs and music bring to life samba, capoeira, Carnaval, and other Brazilian traditions, while Olivério’s inspiring story proves there’s more to family than you might think–and it’s never too late to ask for just “a little more” love in the world.
Most enjoyed by age 9 and up.
Performance Timing: 70 minutes, with no intermission.
Note: The 1:30 p.m. performance on Sun., February 14 is Sensory-Friendly.
Sensory-Friendly Performances are designed to create a theater experience that is welcoming to all families with children on the autism spectrum or with other disabilities that create sensory sensitivities.
Accommodations for Sensory-Friendly performances include:
* Lower volume and consistent sound levels (no jarring sounds);
* Lights remaining at a low level in the theater during the performance;
* A reduction of strobe lighting focused on the audience;
* An understanding that patrons are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance;
* Short performance times, lasting 60-75 minutes with no intermission;
* Designated quiet areas within the theater;
* Space throughout the theater for standing and movement;
* Smaller crowds and a limited number of visitors at the Kennedy Center during the day and timing of the performance; and
* Trained Kennedy Center staff members who are inviting and accommodating to families’ needs.
Families will also have access to resource materials to prepare for their visit. Please contact the Accessibility Office at 202-416-8727 (voice/relay) or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- tots2tweens Live Stream: https://t.co/qyRIXfK0BI via @YouTube about 7 hours ago from Google ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Dani Grubbs Gurrie - live https://t.co/zBLZmYwePG about 8 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest Tots2Tweens Kids Connection! https://t.co/Xuh2cENogM #frontpage #a1 about 11 hours ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite