Annual Memorial Illumination
This event posted by: orock
Saturday, December 03, 2016
2:00 pm - 11:45 pm
Antietam National Battlefield
5831 Dunker Church Road
Sharpsburg, MD 21782
Click for more information
23,000 Candles – One for Each Soldier Killed, Wounded or Missing at the Battle of Antietam
On Saturday evening December 3, 2016, Antietam National Battlefield, in cooperation with the American Business Women’s Association and the Washington County Convention and Visitors’ Bureau, will host the Annual Antietam National Battlefield Memorial Illumination in honor of those soldiers who fell during the Battle of Antietam.
The Illumination opens to the public at 6:00 p.m. The main entrance to the event is Richardson Avenue off Maryland Route 34. From Boonsboro, travel west on Route 34 and a line will form on the westbound shoulder for entrance to the Illumination. From Hagerstown or West Virginia, travel to Sharpsburg and head east on Maryland Route 34 and make an appropriate turnaround at some point to access the line on the westbound shoulder of Route 34.
The driving tour through the park is approximately 5 miles long. Vehicles are to use parking lights only, to the extent technology permits this, and continue through the event without stopping. Visitors are prohibited from walking the tour route. Event brochures will be distributed at the event entrance and contributions will also be accepted. If the event needs to be rescheduled due to weather, the following Saturday, December 10 is the make up date.
KEY FACTS FOR THE PROGRAM
- Entrance to the park for this event is on Route 34.
- Stopping or exiting vehicles along the route is not permitted.
- The line of cars to enter can be up to two hours long.
- There are no bathrooms along the route .
- The visitor center closes at 3:00 p.m.
- Amazing New Stuff Top Five – Kids Birthday Party Venues – Frederick MD - Tots2Tweens presents the Top Five – a seri… https://t.co/LsGfk1Bnbr about 9 hours ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest Tots2Tweens Kids Connection! https://t.co/bKDsOjTDaF #opinion #giftideas about 19 hours ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Amazing New Stuff Meet a Mom Monday – Karen Hastings - Every week we like to take a moment to introduce a mom who i… https://t.co/uZdkYittDY 08:04:19 PM December 11, 2017 from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite