St. Luke School
About St. Luke School
Saint Luke School is dedicated to educating the whole child: mind, body, and soul. With Christ as our guide, we instill Catholic values and faith, promote academic excellence, and inspire our students to be life-long learners who are socially responsible citizens committed to serving others.
The Saint Luke Curriculum encompasses sequentially ordered learning experiences for students. The total curriculum includes the development of Catholic values and attitudes, as well as the attainment of knowledge and skills necessary for the student’s spiritual, moral, intellectual, social, and physical development.
The basic curriculum for the school (but not necessarily for each grade level) includes the following subjects: Religion, Reading, Language Arts (English, Spelling, Handwriting), Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Fine Arts (Art, Music, Band), Foreign Language (French and Spanish), Health and Safety, Physical Education, Technology Education, and Library.
Saint Luke School is accredited by the Virginia Catholic Education Association and follows the curriculum guidelines established by the Diocese of Arlington. Each subject area has a minimum and maximum number of minutes it should be taught on a weekly basis. These minutes vary according to grade level and copies of the weekly schedule for each faculty member are sent to the Diocesan Office annually. The Guidelines are re-evaluated on a schedule established in the Diocesan Office.
Saint Luke Preschool strives to provide an environment full of growth, play, and learning. Children are encouraged to learn by engaging in new experiences and creative play activities. The aim is to develop the whole child cognitively, emotionally, spiritually, and physically.
Saint Luke Preschool offers classes for 3 & 4 year olds:
3 year old classes are in the morning (8:15 – 11:15) on Monday/Wednesday/Friday or Tuesday/Thursday or Monday through Friday.
4 year old classes are all day (8:15 – 3:00) Monday through Friday.
Children must be at least 3 or 4 years old by September 30th of the current school year to be eligible for their respective class.
SLS AT A GLANCE
- Preschool-8, coed Catholic School founded in 1962
- 50+ year tradition of providing academic excellence in a Christ-Centered environment
- 2014 National Blue Ribbon School of Academic Excellence
- Educating the whole child spiritually, academically, emotionally, and physically
- A member of the Diocese of Arlington
- Accredited by the Virginia Catholic Conference
- Located in McLean, VA
- Campus has large fields perfect for outdoor play as well as a beautiful courtyard
- Small, intimate sized school with a staff of 30 teachers and aides
- School Hours: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Extended Day available on a daily, intermittent, or drop-in basis
- Foreign Language program offers French and Spanish
- Activboard technology in all classrooms
- Reading specialist for grades 1-5
- Mathematics chair works with students in grades 5-8
- Algebra I offered to students in advanced math
- Curriculum integration for rich learning experiences
- Extra-curricular activities: CYO basketball and tennis
- Clubs: Chess Club, Choir, Junior National Honor Society, Student Council, Brownies, Girl Scouts, and Boy Scouts
St. Luke School
7005 Georgetown Pike
McLean, VA 22101