Saint John Academy
About Saint John Academy
Saint John Academy was founded in 1954 to offer quality Catholic education to parish children. Saint John Academy continues to provide children in pre-school through eighth grade with a Catholic education rooted in rich tradition of academic excellence and spiritual formation, captured by the school’s motto, “Fides, Scientia, et Guadium.” By Faith, children are led beyond themselves to entrust their formation to God. By forming the entire child, we impart the Knowledge for both intellectual and spiritual growth. The Mission of Saint John Academy is manifested in genuine Christian Joy– rooted in the Sacraments, self-sacrifice, charity, and service to others.
The Saint John Academy curriculum includes the development of Catholic values and attitudes, as well as the attainment of the knowledge and skills necessary for the student’s spiritual, moral, intellectual, social and physical development. Students are taught the technology skills that they will need to navigate high school and beyond as well as how to use technology responsibly. Use of technology is balanced with traditional learning and tried and true methods, so that students can develop critical thinking skills as well as how to communicate face-to-face.
Saint John Academy at a Glance
- Preschool – 8th Grade, coed Catholic School
- Full-Day Pre-School and Pre-Kindergarten available
- Extended Day available on a daily or drop-in basis for all grades
- Founded in 1954, St. John Academy has set a tradition of excellence, providing a learning environment filled with academic excellence and spiritual formation.
- Recipient of National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award, recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as one of the state’s highest performing schools, measured by scores in the top 10% on state assessments.
- 280 students
- Accredited by the Virginia Catholic Education Association
- ActiveBoard technology in every class
- LabLearner™ science curriculum, a 100% research-based, hands-on system of science education that includes a fully equipped in-school laboratory
- Algebra 1 offered to students in Advanced Math
- Honors Literature offered to 7th and 8th grade
- Daily Five reading program, a reading, writing and vocabulary building program for grades K-5
- After school tutoring available, Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Full-time Resource Teacher.
- Full-time Kindergarten and 1st Grade Aides; Elementary and Middle School aides
- Large fields for sports and play; space-net and updated playground equipment for both the preschool/pre-K age group and K-8 students.
- Junior high Athletic Program that competes with area private schools and includes boys and girls soccer and boys and girls basketball
- Clubs including chess, robotics, and Latin
- Full-time registered nurse
Saint John Academy
6422 Linway Terrace
McLean, VA 22101