This looks like such a cool idea to make beads and fun jewelry with your child that I had to share. Beads made out of Newspaper! Enjoy!
YOU WILL NEED
- Old newspapers
- White glue
- Craft paint
- Ribbon or string
1. Round up a few newspapers.
2. Tear the paper into small pieces.
3. Place the pieces of newspaper in a large pot.
4. With the help of an adult, cover paper with boiling water.
5. Allow newspaper and water to sit for an hour, stirring occasionally to break the pieces up.
6. Drain the water out.
7. Add glue to the paper.
8. Roll the paper into round balls.
9. Let them dry for a few days.
10. Smooth each bead down with a bit of sandpaper. It helps when applying paint.
11. With the help of an adult, drill a hole in each bead.
12. Paint them.
13. Coat beads with varnish.
14. After varnish dries, string a ribbon through the beads.
Text by National Geographic Kids staff Photograph by Lyssa White