Summer is just around the corner and I’m feeling the humidity creep in already. Are you looking for family memorial day activities in Washington DC? Here are some fun free events and ideas to keep your family entertained this Memorial Day Weekend.
1. Dine Outside Friday night pack a picnic dinner and head to the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden to enjoy music at the Jazz in the Garden Series from 5:00 to 8:30 pm.
2. Splash Around Saturday let the kids cool off in the fountain and canal at The Yards Park. The park is a fantastic place to people watch, relax in one of the wooden chaise lounge chairs and enjoy the raised overlook view of the Potomac River.
3. Dance with America Sunday evening experience a Memorial Day tradition at the National Memorial Day Concert on the Capitol’s West Lawn from 8:00 pm to 9:30 pm. This year the show will be hosted by Gary Sinise and Joe Mantegna, with musical performances featuring DAUGHTRY, Natalie Cole, Trace Adkins, Jessica Sanchez, The National Symphony Orchestra, The U.S. Army Herald Trumpets, The Soldiers’ Chorus of The United States Army Field Band and more.
4. Relax with a Movie For a more low-key Sunday night, check out the National Harbor Family Sundays: Movies on the Potomac with King Fu Panda 2 beginning at dusk. Bring your lawn chairs and enjoy a flick under the stars.
5. Dance in the Street Wrap up a fun patriotic weekend with the National Memorial Day Parade, which begins at 2:00 pm on Monday. This year the parade features all soldiers who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn. The parade route includes the National Mall on Constitution Avenue between 7th and 17th Streets. Children will love the floats, marching bands, and patriotism.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!
Oh this wonderful tasty time of year! There are so many options for Holiday cookies and candies. You can give them as gifts in a pretty seasonal tin, exchange them with friends, share them with family, or eat them all yourself. There are endless options. Have some...
About Mindi Stavish
Mindi is a working mom with two silly boys, Xander (age 3) and Noah (age 1). She spends her work days helping children with their speech, language, voice and swallowing disorders. The real fun for her happens when she is at home with her boys, chasing them around and pretending to be a super hero. She blogs about their silly antics at Simply Stavish where she also writes a weekly feature with lots of information about child language, speech and feeding development. In her less than free time, she feeds her yarn addiction and knits. Her phone is never far from her and you can find her filling her social media addictions on Twitter, Facebook , Instagram at simplystavish, and Pinterest.