Posted by Dani Gurrie in Blog on Mon, Nov 28, 2011
Not only do I have to think about some clever and thought-provoking for the people in my family, I have to come up with gifts for many of the other people in our lives that we encounter that help us out. Whether child care provider, teacher, babysitter, bus driver, mail carrier, UPS person, newspaper delivery person, pizza guy…I usually try to keep a box in my closet of great “go to” gifts that will make any of these people feel special.
But how much to spend on each? What type of gifts?
I hate to get the $5-10 pre-packaged gift basket type things you see in every store, but when you’re buying for people that you don’t really “know” what choice do you have? Well I have some suggestions here:
- Depending on the age of your child/children – have them “make” a gift for the intended – a little book about the person from the child’s point of view, a cinnamon ornament, some potpourri…need some inspiration? Check out Pinterest…it’s the latest thing in idea sharing. (A word of warning – so easy to spend 2 hours on that website…I found a hundred things I wished I had done for my wedding…ahhh 12 years too late!!)
- How about a personalized ornament? I love this one (pictured right) from Paperly (just $14.99 + shipping) They also carry self-inking stamps which can be customized (I love mine!!)
- Gift cards are simple to purchase and you can go from a non-descript Visa or American Express one to a store card (like Office Depot or Staples for the teachers) – just watch out for the fees!
- For someone really special, there is an amazing coffee table book that was recently produced called “The Pillars of Frederick” the book goes into great depth about those featured on a huge mural in Frederick. The book is $44.95 and if you’re interested, contact me and be one of the first 1,000 orders to have your book hand signed by Yemi, the artist who designed the entire thing!
- A cute website for customized gifts is Zazzle.com. They have a whole section dedicated to Teachers. I like the site because it gives every day artists a platform to sell their designs.
Would love to know what you’re ideas are for this and would love to know who you buy for over the holidays and how much you spend!
About Dani Gurrie
Dani Gurrie is the founder of Tots2Tweens, a wife to Ashley and mom to Cooper and Brodie. She spends most of her days trying to find the ultimate kids-related thing that mom's will love...just to share it with her world.