Recipe submitted by: Tara Dunsmore
Recipe courtesy of: The Mary Sue
-3/4 cup shortening (part butter)
-1 cup sugar
-1/2 tsp. lemon flavoring or 1 tsp. vanilla
-2 1/2 cups Flour
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1 tsp. salt
-Disco Dust, Rainbow
-Wilton's Sparkle Gel, white
-Food Coloring, Standard + Neon
-Cheap Paint Brush
- Prepare the Dough Mix well shortening, sugar, eggs and flavoring. Measure flour by dip-level-pour method or by sifting. Blend flour, baking powder and salt; stir in.
- Do your Separations Separate dough and use food coloring to get the colors that you desire. I did: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple. Put the colored dough into sandwich baggies and let them chill for at least one hour.
- Roll your snakes Just like the clay and play doh, you need to roll snakes. But sugar cookies are MUCH more sensitive. Be very careful, this will take patience and dedication. I started with red, made lots of lines, then added the next color and just kept pressing them together from there on. Until I was out of colors. Make sure to use a flour'd surface and use that to help you roll, too. Once the cookies sit on the cookie sheet, (next step), the flour absorbs into the cookies and they don't have a white powder all over them.
- Getting Dirty Now... Now that you have your thick poop rainbow, it needs to be shaped as such. This part happens swiftly and you don't have much room for error because the dough is so fragile. Take your poop snake and gently flop it onto the ungreased cookie sheet. Once you have it there, just start winding. Decide how your unicorn rolls and let the poops form themselves. Be gentle though, they will break and mess up your spirals. If you need to make any repairs, just use your fingertip and lightly sweep it back into the portion where it broke off. That re-connects the exterior so you don't get poopy cracks. Pinch your tips and then you're done! Just bake them and wait. (As per the recipe, you may want to add a minute or 2 because these are thicker.)
- Add the bumpy stuff! Take those fancy and expensive dragees and push them into the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. You want to lightly break the surface of the cookie and make sure that your balls are settled nicely inside. Then you can let the cookies chill and harden loosely around the dragees. Make sure that they are pushed in, more than half way, because they may roll out later.
- Glitter Gel! Now that they've had time to cool off, it's time to add the sheen! This thin coat of Wilton's Glitter Gel will be sure to keep your poops looking fresh. Just squeeze it out all over the cookie in spirals and then start brushing it out in a smooth coat all over the cookie. You need to hold it in your fingers so that you can turn and brush as needed. Make sure to manipulate the gel into the holes and cracks so that it has a better finish. This stuff is great! It doesn't dry HARD, but it stiffens up pretty well after it's had time to dry, and it's in a thin layer. Just don't stack them. :)
- Stars! Now it's time to turn into a crazy person and pick out individual stars out of the sprinkles and place them on complimentary colors on the poops. Press them lightly to make sure that they gel layer holds them into place. Don't put too many stars because you want them to look NATURAL.
- Disco Dust! *Tots2Tweens chose to skip this step as Disco Dust is not labeled for human consumption. We recommend either bypassing this step or researching an alternative product. Disco Dust is expensive and difficult to dispense. You're supposed to put a sheet of parchment paper over the top of the container, punch holes out with a pin or something, rubber band it in place and use it as a shaker. As an alternative: Take a TINY pinch in your fingers and lightly and tightly sprinkled it over the tops of the cookies.
- Play with your poop!!! YAY! Now that they've had time to dry, and they don't stick to your finger when you touch them, you're done!! Some will look better than others, naturally. But they should all resemble poop. Tah-dah! Now you can eat them in nature, as you ponder the existence of unicorns and magical beings, or even take them to work and impress your boss.
Write a Review!
More "Dessert, Snack" recipes: