Recipe submitted by: lorinelise
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula if needed.
- Add the egg and beat until combined. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Place the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a 1½-inch ball, roll the ball in the sugar mixture, and place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, spacing the balls about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until the edges are set and just beginning to brown but the centers are still soft and puffy, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet about 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.