Mixed Grill for Two
Recipe submitted by: Dani Gurrie
Recipe courtesy of: Dessert for Two
½ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1½ cups chicken broth (or water)
2 small boneless, skinless
⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste
2 small squash, any color
1 large red bell pepper
1 small bunch radishes
1 small bunch scallions
- Preheat the grill to 350, or medium.
- Meanwhile, place the quinoa and chicken broth in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover. Let simmer for 15 minutes or so, until the grains unfurl and most of the water is absorbed. Depending on the size of the saucepan, you might have to let it cook for a few minutes with the lid off at the end to absorb the excess broth. Remove from heat and keep covered.
- Next, have ready 2 plastic bags or 2 large dishes. Place the chicken breasts in one bag, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wash your hands.
- Make the marinade: combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and Italian seasoning.
- Pour half the marinade on the chicken and toss very well to coat.
- Finally, chop up the vegetables. Slice the squash in half lengthwise, slice the pepper into large strips, halve the radishes, and trim the ends off the scallions. Place all the vegetables in the bag and pour the remaining marinade on top. Stir to coat.
- When the grill is hot (you can hold your hand about 6″ above the surface for 3-5 seconds), add all the vegetables except the scallions. Add the chicken to the opposite side of the grill.
- Cook everything for 6-7 minutes per side. Add the scallions after the first flip–they burn easily.
- Test the chicken for doneness, it should be firm to the touch and above 165-degrees internally.
- To serve, divide the hot quinoa between 2 plates. Top with sliced chicken and vegetables. Enjoy!