Mini Banana Cream Pie’s
Recipe submitted by: Dani Gurrie
Recipe courtesy of: Jumbo Empanadas
“Mini pie dough bowls filled creamy custard and topped with banana, cinnamon and chocolate dust! YUM!”
2 cups whole milk
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar, pressed through a sieve.
1/3 cup cornstarch, sifted.
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg.
pinch of salt.
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
3 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into bits.
3 ripe but firm bananas, sliced.
- To make the custard, bring the milk to a boil.
- In a separate saucepan, whisk together the eggs, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until blended and thick.
- Whisking without stopping, drizzle in about ¼ of the hot milk.
- Continue to whisk while slowly pouring in the remainder of the milk. Bring the mixture to a boil while whisking and continue to whisk for 2 minutes at a boil.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla. Let cool 5 minutes before whisking in the bits of butter until fully incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool.
- Remove from the fridge and whisk again before scooping into tart shells, alternating with a layer of sliced banana until you reach the top of the shell.
- For the tart shells I used a 3-2-1 pie dough, fully baked and cooled. I topped the mini pies with lightly sweetened whipped cream and a banana slice with caramelized cinnamon sugar on top.