Italian Christmas Cookies
Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.decorating-ideas-made-easy.com
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3-3/4 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup warm milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Before you begin adding ingredients, remove your eggs from the refrigerator to allow them to come to room temperature (about 20-30 minutes). Beating your eggs at room temperature will help them whip up to a greater volume. This will help your cookies be light and airy.
- Using a heavy-duty mixer, beat your eggs for about 5 minutes, until they are light and foamy, and then set them aside.
- Next, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder on low speed.
- Gradually beat in your butter and vanilla extract.
- Mix until your flour mixture resembles find crumbs. Next, gradually add your eggs.
- Roll your dough into 1/2" balls. (These little guys will expand during baking!) Your dough will be sticky, but that is what keeps the cookies from cracking during baking.
- Bake your cookies at 350 degrees, for about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, you want to place your cookies on a cooling rack.
- Now, the fun part of baking: the decorating! While the cookies are still on the cooling rack, use a spoon to pour the glaze over the cookie.
- Next, before the glaze hardens, apply your sprinkles.