Home-style Drop Biscuits (Gluten-Free)
Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.celiac.com/
1 ½ cup brown rice flour
2 cup corn starch or potato starch or tapioca starch
½ cup soy flour or sorghum flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ¾ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 stick of butter or gluten-free butter substitute (chilled in the freezer)
1 ¼ cup soy milk
1 ¼ cup water
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 egg, beaten (or the equivalent amount of your favorite egg replacement)
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flour (a fork works well for this), baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum.
- For an easier time working with the butter, grate the butter into the flour using the small holed side of a box grater. Mix the butter into the flour so that there are no large balls of grated butter.
- Add the soy milk, water, vinegar and beaten egg to the flour and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined.
- Using a large spoon, drop the dough onto a greased pan to make 16 biscuits.
- Cook at 350F degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.