Cupcakes with berry glaze
Recipe submitted by: Aimee Mendoza
Recipe courtesy of: Jamie Oliver
For the cake:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup milk
For the fresh fruit icing:
1½ cups berries (raspberries, strawberries or
blackberries), plus extra fruit or crystallized
flower petals for decoration
1½cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Beat the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before you add the next. Sift in the flour and baking powder, and add the milk. Finely grate in the zest of the lemon then fold the mixture together just until blended. Don’t over mix.
- Place 18 paper baking cups into your muffin tins. Use tablespoons to evenly divide the mixture between your paper baking cups.
- Put the muffin tins into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. You can check to see if the cakes are cooked by sticking a toothpick right into one of them. Remove it after 5 seconds and if it comes out clean they’re cooked; if slightly sticky they’ll need a bit longer, so put them back in the oven for another 5 minutes, or until cooked through and golden on top. If you cook them for too long, though, they will just go dry so keep an eye on them. Remove the cakes from the tins and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Mash up 1 ½ cups of your chosen berries with a fork or whiz them in a food processor. If the fruit has seeds you may want to pass it through a sieve to make it lovely and smooth. Stir together with the confectioners’ sugar and mix until you have a smooth paste.
- When the cakes have cooled completely, drizzle a teaspoon of your icing over each one then top with the rest of the fruit – if you’re using strawberries, slice them up first.
Write a Review!
More "Dessert" recipes: