Cold Zucchini Summer Soup
Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://food.mamiverse.com/recipe-international-picnic-day-ideas-18126/
1 cup shallots, thinly sliced.
2 TBSP Extra-Olive Oil
2 lb zucchini, peeled, quartered and sliced thinly.
2 tablespoons lemon zest
Salt and pepper to taste.
2 cups chicken broth.
2 cups water
½ cup fresh parsley
1 TBSP finely chopped dill plus 1 TBSP for garnish.
⅔ cup plain yogurt
- Heat olive oil in large heavy saucepan.
- Cook shallots over medium heat, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, lemon zest, salt, and pepper and cook, until zucchini is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and the water and simmer until zucchini is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool about 5 minutes.
- Add parsley and dill.
- With a hand mixer, or standing blender, purée zucchini mixture until well blended and creamy.
- Transfer to a large soup bowl, cover and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt and place in refrigerator.
- Once cool, stir and place in a large insulated thermos to take along with you to the picnic.
- Serve in glasses or small bowls.
- Garnish with dill.