Candy Cane Cookies
Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
3 drops red food coloring
3 drops green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, add egg and lemon juice and continue to mix. Add dry mixture incrementally to wet mixture until fully incorporated.
- Divide dough into 2 separate bowls; add 3 drops red food coloring to 1 bowl and 3 drops green food coloring to the other. Stir until colors are prevalent throughout.
- Roll out both doughs on flour-dusted parchment paper to about 1/6-inch thick. Trim edges with a butter knife or pizza cutter to make a solid rectangle. Cut each color dough into 10 even strips, twist and wrap green dough with red dough and form candy cane shapes.
- Place twisted dough on a parchment-lined cookie sheet 1/2 inch apart (they will spread) and bake for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown. Remove, cool and enjoy!