Beef Noodle Soup Recipe
Recipe submitted by: Amy Pickett
Recipe courtesy of: http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/clearsoups/r/beefnoodlesoup.htm
1½ lbs beef short rib
1 large onion, peeled
2 large celery stalks
3 medium carrots, peeled
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2-3 dried bay leaves
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
2 qts beef stock
½ cup red wine (optional)
2-3 cups uncooked egg noodles
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Chop the onion, and slice the celery into roughly the same size pieces as the onion. Cut the carrots lengthwise then slice them into little half-moons — again, about the same size as the onion and celery pieces.
- Generously season the beef short ribs with Kosher salt.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy, oven-proof soup pot, brown the beef on all sides over high heat in a small amount of oil. Remove beef from pot and set aside.
- Add the carrot, celery, onion and garlic and sauté in the resulting beef juices until slightly browned.
- Add the wine (or about ½ cup of beef stock if you're not using wine) and use a wooden spoon or heat-proof spatula to loosen all the flavory bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaves and the browned beef. Add the stock. If there's not enough liquid to cover the meat, add water until the ribs are just submerged.
- Bring to a boil, then cover with a tightly fitting lid and transfer to the oven.
- Let the beef braise untouched for 4 hours. Remove pot from oven and carefully remove the beef ribs from the braising liquid.
- Remove the meat from the bones (it should pretty much just fall right off) and gently pull the meat into smallish pieces. Set aside.
- Add the noodles to the braising liquid and simmer over a medium heat for about 8 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Turn off heat. Add the beef and stir until the meat is heated through. Season to taste with Kosher salt and black pepper. Serve hot.
Write a Review!
More recipes with "Beef, carrots, Celery, Onion, Pasta, Tomato":
More "Dinner, Lunch, Soup" recipes: