Balsamic Glazed Steak Rolls
Recipe submitted by: Dani Gurrie
Recipe courtesy of: Picture the Recipe
1 1/2lbs - 2lbs flank steak
8-10 Thin sliced sirloin steaks.
Salt and Pepper
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce.
Any type of steak seasoning.
1 tbsp olive oil.
For the Veggie Filling:
1 Bell Pepper
5-6 Green Onions
2 Cloves of Garlic
1tsp Italian herb seasoning.
For Balsamic Glaze:
2 tsp Butter
2 tbsp finely minced Shallots
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup Beef broth.
- Start by prepping the steak. Trim as much fat as you can and cut the steak into three inch wide strips. You can try and manage eight strips and use the odd shaped end to taste test the marinade and balsamic glaze. Tenderize the meat with a meat hammer if you feel it necessary.
- Season the steak pieces generously on both sides with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Let them sit in the marinade for at least thirty minutes if not a couple of hours
- While the steak is marinating you can prep the filling for them. Chop up the carrot, bell pepper and zucchini into matchstick six pieces, little longer than the width of the steak strips. If you have it use a mandolin slicer to get jet thin slices and hang cut them to make matchsticks. Cut the green onion in a similar size and slice them in half length wise. For the garlic, simple peel and crush the cloves with the flat side of your knife, just enough to bruise them.
- NOW FOR THE SAUCE: Melt the butter in a small pan on medium heat.
- Add the finally chopped shallot and sauté it for a minute or two until it turns soft and translucent
- Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and beef stock and stir to mix everything well
- Allow the sauce to come to a boil and reduce to almost half its volume. You’ll notice it starts becoming thicker and take on the consistency of syrup. The butter also starts separating and comes to the top. Turn the heat off and transfer the sauce to a bowl.
- NOW FOR THE VEGGIES: In the same pan (no need to wash it) add a touch of olive oil and toss in the garlic cloves to allow them to flavor the oil for a few minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high and toss in the carrots, bell pepper and zucchini (no need to cool the green onion) and stir fry the veggies for no longer than two to three minutes.
- Season them with the Italian herb seasoning, salt them, and then transfer the veggies to a bowl.
- NOW THE ACTUAL STEAK ROLL: To assemble the steak rolls, simply take a strip of the marinated steak and lay it with the short side towards you. Place the veggies (don’t forget that green onion!) in the middle and oil the beef up over the filling, securing it with a toothpick. Repeat the same with the others.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a touch of oil swirling it to coat the bottom of the pan. When hot, add beef rolls, seam side down, not touch and pan fry them for a couple of minutes. Then turn the roll over and cook it on all sides in the same way. Cook them until your desired “doneness” is reached.
- While they cook you can also season them with some mesquite for a touch of smoked flavor.
- Remove from the pan, remove the toothpick and serve them with the balsamic glaze sauce spooned over the top of each roll.