First Home Care
Alexandria, VA 23313
About First Home Care
First Home Care serves foster/adoptive families in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. If you are interested in becoming a therapeutic foster/adoptive parent or would like more information, please visit our website: firsthomecare.com.
We offer foster care services and adoption services for children, from newborn to age 21, who require out-of-home, community-based placement in a family setting. Comprehensive, coordinated, and nurturing care is provided in the homes of trained treatment families with support, supervision, and 24-hour crisis intervention available, as needed, from mental health professionals.
First Home Care offers a continuum of services that support, train, advise, educate, nurture and treat children at risk, adults, and their families, through programs in Virginia and in collaboration with Foundations for Home and Community in Washington, D.C. and the surrounding Maryland communities.
We believe that individuals are best served and achieve the most positive outcomes if they remain in communities near their families and natural support systems. We help individuals and their families develop concrete skills that sustain them in their efforts to become productive members of society. We believe all individuals are capable of developing the necessary skills to achieve their goals and we help them succeed in this endeavor.
Our services reduce the need for more costly and restrictive levels of care and placements, and target those children, adults, and families deemed “hard to serve” due to multiple system involvement or those with a history of multiple past treatment failures requiring access to an array of mental health services and supports. We have extensive experience and expertise in designing and delivering services within the child welfare, student court, mental health, and education arenas. Our focus is on strengthening and preserving family unity through prevention and solution-based services.
The community-based, family-focused, wraparound services that First Home Care provides include:
- Therapeutic/Respite Foster Care / Adoption preparing highly-trained families to provide unconditional care and support for children, aged newborn to 21, who require out-of-home, community-based placement in a family setting.
- Alternative Day School provides an educational program to facilitate academic and social growth for students grades K-12 who have not been successful in a traditional school setting. The goal is to reintegrate students back to the public school setting.
- Intensive In-Home Services provide immediate stabilization of risk for removal from the home or facilitates transition from inpatient facilities. Systematic and therapeutic interventions are provided to address behavioral and emotional issues.
- Outpatient Services include diagnosis and evaluation, screening and intake, counseling, psychotherapy, behavioral management and medication services.
- Mental Health Support Services provide individuals 18 years and older with the opportunities for training and reinforcement of functional skills and appropriate behavior related to the individual’s health and safety.
- Day Treatment Services are integrated within the daily classroom schedule, after school and during the summer to provide intensive therapeutic interventions and individualized clinical programming for individuals with mental, behavioral, emotional issues.
- Day Support Services support older adolescents and adults with multiple disabilities, including those with Autism Spectrum Disorder, to develop the relevant skills that will enable them to participate in all aspects of their community.
- Mental Health Rehabilitation Services provide youth with serious emotional disturbances and persons with serious mental illness the community support, counseling and community based intervention services needed for the maximum reduction of mental disability and restoration of an individual to his or her best possible functional level.
First Home Care
5520 Cherokee Avenue, Suite 215
Alexandria, VA 23313