Summer is just around the corner and I’m feeling the humidity creep in already. Are you looking for family memorial day activities in Washington DC? Here are some fun free events and ideas to keep your family entertained this Memorial Day Weekend.
1. Dine Outside Friday night pack a picnic dinner and head to the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden to enjoy music at the Jazz in the Garden Series from 5:00 to 8:30 pm.
2. Splash Around Saturday let the kids cool off in the fountain and canal at The Yards Park. The park is a fantastic place to people watch, relax in one of the wooden chaise lounge chairs and enjoy the raised overlook view of the Potomac River.
3. Dance with America Sunday evening experience a Memorial Day tradition at the National Memorial Day Concert on the Capitol’s West Lawn from 8:00 pm to 9:30 pm. This year the show will be hosted by Gary Sinise and Joe Mantegna, with musical performances featuring DAUGHTRY, Natalie Cole, Trace Adkins, Jessica Sanchez, The National Symphony Orchestra, The U.S. Army Herald Trumpets, The Soldiers’ Chorus of The United States Army Field Band and more.
4. Relax with a Movie For a more low-key Sunday night, check out the National Harbor Family Sundays: Movies on the Potomac with King Fu Panda 2 beginning at dusk. Bring your lawn chairs and enjoy a flick under the stars.
5. Dance in the Street Wrap up a fun patriotic weekend with the National Memorial Day Parade, which begins at 2:00 pm on Monday. This year the parade features all soldiers who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn. The parade route includes the National Mall on Constitution Avenue between 7th and 17th Streets. Children will love the floats, marching bands, and patriotism.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!