We are SO excited!
We’ve loved getting to interact with so many bloggers in this way and we’re super excited (although, admittedly, a little anxious!) about bringing someone with us to Bloggy Boot Camp and welcoming them as a member of the Tots2Tween team!
It’s just so darn, um, exciting!
So what exactly are we looking for in a blogger? How will we choose?!
Every blogger isn’t suited well to every blog and we certainly have some criteria that we are seeking when we accept new bloggers as Tots2Tweens contributors.
And this is the case for anyone interested in submitting a post to us (yes! We do accept guest posts).
We’re all about helping other bloggers grow, and gain exposure, and hone their craft, but we also know that we require certain content and voice to keep our readers coming back so we work super hard to ensure that you will be a good match for us and vice versa!
So, how do we choose?! It’s easy and hard and easy all at the same time…
5 Things We Look For When Hiring a Blogger
1. Great Writing. Because really, everyone knows how difficult it is to muddle through a poorly written piece. Plus, as the blog editor, it considerably taxes my time if I have to go back and rewrite or correct a bunch of copy. We want our writers to have a strong voice, interesting topic ideas, and a good grasp of the inner workings of the English language. You know stuff like their and there and they’re. We’re not quite so picky about the over use of the exclamation point as evidenced by this post in particular. And, like most blogs, we want this to feel like a conversation, so current, relaxed vernacular is good too. That’s not too much to ask is it?!
2. Blogging knowledge. Blogs don’t work the same as other websites. And, they also don’t work the same as print articles. Blogging is as unique as these other elements and we need our writers to recognize that. Does that mean that you need to know everything there is to know about blogging? Duh, of course not! That’s some of what we hope to teach you if you are awarded an internship with us. But, we are looking for someone open to this idea and willing to learn how to approach a blog reading audience such as ours.
3. Audience. This is something we appreciate most from people looking to guest post with us. Sure we want to expose you to our audience in hopes of helping you grow, but we also want to be exposed to yours! We think we have a pretty cool thing going on here and we really want people to know about it, so when you ask to be featured, or added to our blog roll, or guest post on our site, we’re hopeful that you have an audience that you’re willing to share with us (it doesn’t have to be big, it can even be just your mom and your sitser!) by promoting your guest appearance on your social outlets and including our button on your site too!
4. A niche. Our niche is parents. We aim to be a resource for parents so that they can come to us and find exactly what they are looking for whether it be the best birthday party resources or healthy dish recipes for families. So, we like our contributors to be experts (or budding experts) on the things they are writing about. And by experts, we just mean you are passionate about it and can convey that in your writing. Maybe you really love cupcakes (I do!) or getting organized (yeah, not so much), or coming up with fun learning activities for your kids. Or, maybe you just love motherhood or fatherhood and want to write about that. Doesn’t matter to us as long as you can share something with our readers that makes them go ahhhh. Okay, so you don’t have to make them go ahhhh, but we really want them to want to come back so it should be good!
5. Willingness to learn. Blogging and social media is an ever changing thing. Anyone who uses Facebook can see how quickly this stuff changes! We’re excited about the changes and we want you to be too. That means being open to trying and learning new things. And, in order to stay ahead of the game, there’s an ever present need to think out of the box. We like thinking out of the box and we want a team of people who like that too.
Want to learn more about this Blog Awesome Challenge?! Check out our final post and see if it’s for you. You have until midnight tonight (4/4) to link up your posts and the winner will be announced on our Facebook page next Wednesday!